Phonics at St Barnabas C of E Primary School
All children in Foundation Stage and Key Stage 1 have daily phonics sessions. Phonics is a crucial part of Foundation Stage and Key Stage One as it gives children confidence and helps them become independent readers and writers.
St Barnabas C of E Primary School is a Universal school for the Knowledge Transfer Centre scheme for Phonics and Reading. This is a project for phonics and reading based on Letters and Sounds developed by Literacy Consultant Ann Smallberger.
Children also learn to read and spell tricky words; words which don’t rely on phonics. Children at St Barnabas are excited to read and write new words and sentences and enjoy having these challenges.
- Phase 1 focuses on everyday sounds, rhythm and rhyme, alliteration and orally segmenting and blending.
- Phase 2 focuses on learning all single sounds and how to read and write them in words.
- Phase 3 focuses on learning simple digraph and trigraph sounds and applying these to words and sentences (for example, igh, oo, ear and er)
- Phase 4 focuses on learning adjacent consonants in words (for example, fl, pr,cr and st)
- Phase 5 focuses on learning alternative digraph and trigraph sounds and applying these to words and sentences (for example, ie, ph, oe and ai)
Children in Year 2 start in September by recapping phase 5 of phonics before moving on spelling rules and patterns.
When we read in phonics we:
- Read new and old graphemes that make the same sound.
- Read words moving a card across the graphemes.
- The children say: “Look at the letters, make the sounds and blend the sounds together”
When we write in phonics we:
- Write different words using the sound
- Use correct letter formation (ascenders and descenders and only capital letters in the correct place
- The children say: “Say the word, finger the word, write the word”
Click below to listen to the pure sounds of the letters of the alphabet.
Below are a collection of phonics action sheets to help parents at home.
St Barnabas Road, Leicester, Leicestershire LE5 4BD